Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Strawbery Rhubarb Whoopie Pies



Last summer/spring I discovered that I love going to the farmers markets.  I was anxious at first because I had never been and I was afraid that I wouldn’t know what to buy or just how to interact with the market merchants.  But, these feelings were unfounded.  Thus, I fared well and since then I’ve been going every Saturday during the summer.  I bring my boyfriend (or “partner” because he thinks the word boyfriend makes our relationship sound less serious seeing as how we’ve been together for almost four years) along and we spend about an hour traipsing through there.  I usually leave him behind somewhere because he’s a bit too slow for me.  I have this awful feeling that if I don’t hurry and see everything first, that I’m going to miss out and by the time I get there all the good stuff will be gone.  So, while he’s perusing at a much more leisurely pace, I’m plowing through my fellow farm market goers and grabbing the cream of the crop—or at least that’s how I see it in my head…  I love being a person who cooks with seasonal ingredients.  More than just cooking, I love baking with seasonal ingredients.  Last summer I made a peach pie, 2 heirloom tomato tarts, a key lime pie (even though key limes aren’t seasonal to my area—key lime pie is one of my favorite desserts), a stone fruit gallette, a dozen small zucchini bundt cakes, and 1 large chocolate zucchini bundt cake.  All were tasty treats that I’ll gladly end up making this season no doubt.

However, this season--thus far--I've been meddling with strawberries and rhubarb.  I keep buying them--even when I'm not entirely sure that I'll have time to bake with it.  I know, I could just eat them as is.  Fresh fruit is great and so healthy and nutritious and blah blah blah.  But, I'd rather mound sugar on top of them, embed them within a pie crust or batter and bake at 350.  It's just more fun that way.




So the recipe I ended up making on this particular occasion was strawberry whoopie pies sandwiching a sweet rhubarb curd.  


To make the whoopie pies, I used this recipe found here with a one adaptation.  I substituted the yogurt with a 1/2 a cup of sour cream purely because I had it and I didn't have any yogurt...

For the rhubarb curd, I used this recipe here.  

All in all they turned out well.  My own qualm was that the curd wasn't super thick--it wasn't very runny either--but it keep oozing out of the sandwich and for someone who is anal retentive about such things it can be frustrating when you are trying to take pictures of it.  So I kept them in the fridge for a bit so they could firm up.  It was the first time I have ever made a curd so I am not entirely sure if it should have been thicker or not.  Maybe I'll add another egg yolk or so next time to see if that makes any difference...


 

              
         
             The process was pretty simple




 They look pretty good right?







 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post any comments or questions!