Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Heirloom Tomato Tart


I've been looking forward to making a tomato tart this summer so I was quite pleased when I saw some great looking heirloom tomatoes at the farmers market this past weekend.



When I was a kid I never really liked the taste of tomatoes unless they were cooked but heirloom tomatoes are different.  They're sweeter and I can eat them raw and actually really enjoy them.


I've made this tart every summer (more than once during each summer) since I saw it on David Lebovitz's food blog a few years ago when he featured a french tomato tart.

Look at this guy with his little rhino horn

It's super easy to adapt to your own tastes and I think if you pick out funky and colorful looking tomatoes it can just look beautiful.  I also used heirloom cherry tomatoes a couple of times and that turned out superb as well--and looked awesome.



I made the same crust that I used for my Stone Fruit Pie in my previous post and it turned out great--really flaky and buttery.



The only adaptations I made were the crust for one:  he uses a completely different recipe and I can't remember if I ever tried but I'm sure it's worth it.  It looks amazing.  Aaaaand you can make any type of tart you want--round, rectangular, square or free form it.  It's going to taste fabu no matter what shape it is.






Other than that I picked out about 5 different types of tomatoes and used about half of each for the tart.  You may need more or less--it just depends on the size of your tomatoes and your tart.  I don't mind having leftover because they're so good.  I have no issue either eating them raw or using them in something else.


I spread about 2-3 tablespoons of mustard on the bottom of the uncooked tart dough, laid the tomatoes on top of that and then salted the tomatoes to taste and then spread 4 oz of goat cheese on top of that (David Lebobvitz calls for 8 oz but I think half of that is plenty but that's the simplicity of this recipe, it's all according to your own preference).  Lastly, I spread 2 tablespoons of fresh basil (again, use any herbs you deem worthy) over the tart and put it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 425 until the goat cheese was nice and browned.


I hope you guys get a chance to try it and enjoy it...





No comments :

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post any comments or questions!